It is exciting to see this long-planned study become action! Please see my website and check out the case study developed so far for the background. There is a downloadable PowerPoint that outlines the value of kanban in academic online group learning settings, as well as a downloadable essay that I wrote to provide context and planning for this case study.
Meanwhile, here are the Cliff Notes of the project:
Case Study: Implementing Kanban into Adult Curriculum
Impact: Group Learning
Effect Desired: Reduce tension & allow visual controls, ultimately improving assignment quality
Experiment Group: CM3000 ONB19 (starts November 30)
Control Group: CM3000 ONB20 (starts January 25)
Survey Method: Three surveys that cover three stages
Pre-test Survey – Mindset and fears going into the group learning process
Post-test Survey – Reflection of experience and impact of visual control board
Follow-up Survey – Experience without visual controls (Experiment Group only)
- What is your mindset going into a team environment?
- Do you have any fears? Why or why not?
- Are you looking forward to the learning experience? Why or why not?
- Do you feel adequately prepared to begin the group exercise? Why or why not?
- Is your mindset different towards group learning after the team experience?
- Provide a quick summary reflecting your experience.
- Have your fears changed during the group learning process? If so, how?
- If you experienced the visual controls of the kanban board, how did it impact the group learning process?
- Provide a quick summary of the ease or difficulty in organizing as a team.
- Did you experience the visual controls of a kanban board in previous group learning settings?
- Provide a quick summary reflecting on the difference in the group learning experience between this course and the last one.
- Do you attribute anything as to the reason the group learning experience was better or worse than the previous course?
- Would you like to see the visual control board as a part of curriculum for future group learning?
It should be noted that while I hope to not taint the results by being the person to teach the experiment group, I do not want to go through all the training of faculty on how to manage the online tool if this is deemed to not be effective enough to utilize. However, it is my firm belief that it will be embraced by students.
The case study is being updated throughout the process. I encourage you to check it out every now and then for the progress!